What does it mean to function well in life? What does it mean to have good mental health? It means we exhibit the following traits:
- Feeling good about ourselves; accepting that we have both strengths and weaknesses. Understanding that change takes time, and being patient with ourselves.
- Being able to effectively manage our emotions so we’re not controlled or overwhelmed by them (Feelings of anxiety, fear, anger, rage, bitterness, hatred, jealousy, and so on).
- Being able to form and enjoy stable, healthy, boundaried and meaningful relationships.
- Feeling at ease in the company of others.
- Not taking life too seriously; being able to laugh at ourselves.
- Respecting ourself, our values, beliefs, attitudes, choices and decisions. Also, respecting others and their right to think, choose, decide and act for themselves.
- Being able to accept, and to cope with, disappointment. This includes being able to adapt and compromise when this is healthy and…
View original post 107 more words